Saturday, December 22, 2012

Letter 640: Hiro

It all started with a plate of Wagyu beef. Funny how something as inconsequential as a plate of Wagyu beef could lead to one of the best conversations I've had with a stranger at an izakaya bar. 

She was from Tokyo, but spoke English laced with a tinge of American accent. I picked up on it and one thing led to another and we were talking about Wagyu beef and Kobe beef, Boxing Day Sales vs Black Friday Sales, studying in Washington State, the influence of American sitcoms, conversing in Australian (I told her not to lose her American accent), the Fukushima effect, and the average cost of a bowl of ramen in Tokyo. 

Before she cleared our plates, she said, you made my day. And she smiled. 

It was 10 o'clock at night. 

She was the kind of stranger who makes you want to sit at the bar and drink sake with till sunrise.

We took a picture together when she arrived with our order of a green tea parfait. 

Before we left, I said, YOU made my day

It was 10.30 pm. 

She laughed with her eyes this time.


No comments: